Saturday, May 4, 2013

the luckiest

Malachi (5 months), Charlie (28 months), Adelaide (4 years)
I'm enjoying a bit of solitude at the moment. Ben is out with a couple of guys for the evening and all of my kiddos are sleeping peacefully in their beds. After making some cookies, I tucked into bed with my nightly grapefruit and an episode of Desperate Housewives on Netflix. I was going to go to sleep early, but was reflecting on how wonderfully blessed I feel and the amazing children that are under my care. Each so different and unique, so special. I pray that I use my authority in their lives to continue to shape them into the people that God made them to be. I know they won't be little for long. Soon enough the dinner table might not be so hectic and bedtime will happen without much help from Ben and me. They won't be coming into our room to wake us up each morning, but instead will be keeping me up late at night, worried about when might return home.

Malachi and Adelaide, April 2013

Malachi is 5 months old today. Yes, that was probably the quickest five months in the history of the world. His first tooth broke through yesterday morning! This is sooner than the others had teeth (Charlie at 6 mo, and Adelaide at 9 mo), which just adds to the feeling that our baby is growing up too quickly. He has been rolling all over for the past month, which has caused some sleep disruptions, but things seem to be looking up at the moment.

Charlie, playing under a fort

Charlie. Sigh. This little boy just melts my heart a little more every day. Two years old has got to be one of my favorite ages (so far). He is talking a lot, and his sentences are formed so well now. He is so polite - everything he says is "please mummy may I..." (or please daddy). He loves his family. Each one of us. He really hates it when we aren't all together. He (still) loves routine and gets so excited over the sweetest things. At the moment, he is so concerned about Ben fixing the lawn mower. It broke when Ben was mowing last weekend, and now it is something Charlie asks about every day. He really wants it to be fixed. Today, Charlie and I spent a lot of time outside so he could 'mow' with his little mower. He's very determined (re: strong willed) with the sweetest little spirit.

Adelaide wearing Ben's glasses
Adelaide never ceases to amaze us, or anyone else for that matter. Her mind still seems to be growing at lightning speed, and her body is still tiny as ever :) She is the smallest one by far in her little preschool class and today when I dropped her off, I saw several of her little girl friends picking her up with a big hug. Hah, her teacher remarked that will probably happen for most of her life! Charlie and Adelaide currently weigh the same thing - 28 lbs - although Adelaide still has a few inches on Charlie. She has such a caring heart. Yesterday we went on a little play date picnic with some friends and when we returned home, she completely emptied out our lunch box with the things I left in it (the non-perishables). A bit exhausted, I explained to her that I didn't have time to put the things away at the moment, but she told me not to worry about it, that she would put them all away. And she did, everything went right back to its home. She is often my biggest helper, but I love that she is very much a kid as well. I try to let her play and just be a lot of the time, because I know she will be grown up soon enough and will no longer have the time to play.
Charlie and Adelaide, April 2013 

And Ben. Still my best friend, my partner, my love. So thankful for the (almost) 6 years that we have been married... many more to come. Charlie always says, "Daddy, that's your wife?" Lol, I'm not sure exactly where he picked up on that phrase but it is really sweet the way he says it. Our family is moving out of one season at the moment (a hectic one with moving and a new baby) and while I'm sure things aren't slowing down, we are growing together and making such beautiful memories. We are building new relationships through our Village and church, and building on friendships that have lasted over time and distance. I'm so very thankful for this place that God has us in at the moment. It is a sweet time and my spirit is blessed.

Ben and I with Malachi, who is quite sleepy.
Adelaide took this picture, she is getting pretty good with the camera!

1 comment:

  1. Beautiful tribute to your sweet family. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete