Tuesday, October 25, 2011
Pasta with Thyme and Mushrooms
I have a confession: until about 2 years ago, I didn't like mushrooms. I refused to eat them in anything, ever. They would literally make me gag. I am so thankful though that, as with several things in recent years, I have found a place for mushrooms on my palette. I'm still not a fan of raw mushrooms but most dishes with cooked mushrooms I am able to stomach - and some I even like. Such is this recipe I made last week.
I had half a package of button mushrooms leftover from the green curry tofu I made earlier in the week and not a clue what to do with them. I searched the trusty Tasty Kitchen website and found a recipe that I had most of the ingredients for and sounded quite tasty. I altered it a bit for what I had on hand and ended up with a super delicious dinner. The only downside is that I didn't have quite enough mushrooms to make enough for the whole family (meaning at least 3 good servings and possibly a bit leftover). I wanted to write down how I made it though before I forget and next time I will plan ahead and have plenty of mushrooms! Serve with a glass of red wine if you like and a good crusty baguette.
Pasta with Thyme and Mushrooms
adapted from TK member VeryCulinary
Ingredients:
8 oz. Fusilli pasta
1 Tablespoon olive oil
2 shallots, chopped
14 oz. button mushrooms, sliced
2 cloves garlic, chopped
1 Tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
1/4 cup red wine
1 cup vegetable broth
1/2 cup Parmesan or Asiago cheese, grated
Cook pasta to al dente. Heat olive oil in large non-stick skillet over medium heat and saute shallots. Add mushrooms, garlic, thyme, and salt and pepper to taste to the pan and cook until mushrooms begin to soften, about 5 minutes. Pour in red wine and cook for one more minute before adding the vegetable broth, then let the sauce thicken and simmer for several minutes. Add the cheese and stir to melt, then throw in the cooked hot pasta. Serves four.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment