Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Birthday Number 25

Ben and I in NYC, summer 2009

Another birthday has come and gone in our house, this time it was mine. Twenty-five seems like a bit of a milestone, but I really have just spent a lot of time reflecting over the past five years. When I turned 20, Ben and I had only been married for a few months, and two months later I would be pregnant with Adelaide. A year later, at 21, Adelaide was 2 months old and we decided to move to New Jersey for Ben to pursue writing software again.
Ben, Rachel and Adelaide
January 7, 2009

My dad died that May, which sent my world into a bit of a spin. That was when I started this blog, to help me sort through my feelings and emotions.
My dad with Adelaide (8 weeks old)
February 2009

Next was my 22nd birthday and we were in the process of moving from New Jersey to Virginia, another job change for Ben. It was only weeks after my birthday that we found out we were pregnant again - this time with sweet Charlie.
Ben, Rachel and Adelaide (15 months old)
Easter 2010, the day after we found out we were pregnant again 

My 23rd birthday was uneventful with life in general and I was still adjusting to life with two kids (Adelaide was 26 months and Charlie was 3 months).
Adelaide and Charlie, 2011

Last year's birthday was another exciting one as we were pretty certain we were pregnant (again). Kerry had just announced to us that she was expecting and we had to wait a couple of weeks to take the test to confirm ours. Ben was also in the midst of another job change and would start working from home. We were making plans to move back to Nashville.
Kerry w/ Emaline, Adelaide, Me & Charlie
My birthday 2012

This year - 25 - we have our three kids and are back in the home we started in several years ago. We have reconnected with old friends, and have made a lot of new ones as well. My birthday was very special this year. A week early, my family was here and we had a joint party with my big brother, Jimmy (a post on that visit coming soon).
Enjoying GiGi's cupcakes and ice cream at our family dinner
Oma and Mali


The night before my big day, Ben and I had a beautiful dinner with just the two of us while our good friends loved us well and watched the kids. Saturday morning (my birthday), Ben took the kids to the Farmer's Market where they purchased a sausage, egg and cheese biscuit (yum!!) and donuts and brought them back home to me so I could eat breakfast in bed :)


 
Adelaide, Charlie and I enjoying the beautiful weather on my birthday
2013
The weather was absolutely beautiful on my birthday and we spent a lot of time playing outside. Adelaide came to the salon with me while I enjoyed getting my hair cut (a 5 minute head message is absolutely amazing). And then that night I got to have a girls night out for dinner and half a drink. Such a rarity, but so needed! Sunday was topped off with a cookout with our Village, some of our dearest friends. So thankful to have these new relationships in our lives.


Dinner with my good friends - Chelsea, Jenni, me, Lori, and Brittany
2013
I can't complain about a thing. Thank you Lord for my many beautiful blessings - in the forms of family and friends. And to think - the best is yet to come!

1 comment:

  1. A bit teary, as usual. The last five years have been eventful for certain.

    ReplyDelete