Monday, August 15, 2011

Falling Down the Stairs

Adelaide, 31 months. Charlie, 8 months.

Last week we had the biggest scare in our house. The gate had been left open at the top of the stairs and I heard Ben scream, "Charlie! No!" and then subsequent thuds down the stairs. I was downstairs at the time and ran quickly to pick up my little guy who was laying face down at the bottom of the stairs, crying hysterically. I gave him a quick once-over and examined for any obvious injuries to his sweet, chubby little body, but there were none to be found. No bleeding, no bruises, no swelling. Just lots of tears. Ben and I tried to calm him for several minutes but he didn't stop crying until we got him in the car (I was headed out at the time) and started driving. After we got to my brother's house and he was calm, I once again examined him and everything looked good. Ben called the doctor but they didn't think we needed to bring him in unless we had a concern. I thanked God for keeping my little guy safe. Ben and I were still shaken up when we got home that night and it really wasn't until the next morning that I think our nerves finally calmed down.


Charlie, 8 months

As I was reflecting on what had happened that morning, I could see this crystal clear picture of God as our Heavenly Father, at the top of the stairs. Sometimes as Christians we are like children and we try to do things on our own, or we think we know a better way. God is such a gracious Father and does what he can to protect us - even putting gates at the top of the staircases. But we still our left with our free will. And when that gate is left open, even for a minute, temptation comes and sometimes we choose not to resist. Our Father cries out to us, "Child! No!" and there is nothing more that He can do except watch us fall. But then, like the great parent He is, He is also waiting at the bottom of the stairs to pick us up in His arms.

Sometimes I wish I could surround my kids (especially accident-prone Charlie) in bubble wrap. I want to protect them from all of the evil and pain and hurt that is in our fallen world. Practically this is not possible, but more than that, it would not be good for them. Because we all have an opportunity with each obstacle of life. We can get back up, learn from it, grow, move on... or we can sulk, be a victim, blame others, live in the past. I pray that my kids will choose to learn from the heartaches they experience in life. I hate that Charlie had to fall down the stairs, but I do hope that he will learn from his fall. In time, he will be able to go down the stairs on his own just like Adelaide does. And he will trust that his parents are looking out for his best interest. And that his mum will be there to catch him as he falls.

No comments:

Post a Comment