Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Jetlag for Toddlers

I've been meaning to update about our Australia trip. We have been home just over a week and are finally feeling recovered. Isn't that what always happens with a vacation? You get home and feel exhausted! It was a wonderful trip though and we always love the time that we get to spend with Ben's family, which is growing rather quickly!


Adelaide did a great job on our flights. She's relatively happy to be sitting with us which makes things easier. She had a bassinet on the international flights which was just barely big enough for her. It was good that we didn't have to hold her while she was sleeping, but we were a bit on edge having to keep an eye for her to wake up, so Ben and I didn't get very much sleep. Traveling there she adjusted to the time change very quickly. The hardest part was keeping her up past 6 at night because she was so tired. By the end of the two weeks she was waking up around 7 - much better than the first morning when she woke up before 4am! (But we did, too, so we really can't blame her.)

It took over 24 hours to get back home and by the time we did get home, it was nearly midnight on Friday night. We got her in bed (and ourselves) quickly and at noon on Saturday Adelaide was still sleeping. We woke her up at that point. She took a 2 hour nap around 3pm, and then we naively tried to put her back to sleep at 9pm. She woke up about 2 hours later, ready to play! Ben and I were still up as well, so we let her get up with us until midnight when we all went to sleep again. At 10:30 the next morning, we thought we should probably wake her up so she could go to bed earlier the next night. Sunday night we had her down by 10pm. On Monday I woke her up at 9:30, and I think that night she was in bed by 8. The key was just getting her up a little earlier each day. Tuesday morning she woke up on her own at 9am. Since then we are on her regular bedtime schedule of going to bed at 7:30 and waking up a little after 8am. It took Ben and I several more nights (and help from sleep medicine) to get back on schedule, but thankfully, we all seem to be back on track at this point. So I guess we will go back some day :)

No comments:

Post a Comment